Chic and effortless looks to show your hairstylist
If, like me, you worry that asking for an up-style will result in a look reminiscent of a ’00s teenager at a formal ball, then this post is for you! Effortless, textured, undone up-dos are modern, stylish and so romantic, so they’re absolutely perfect for brides. But, as with many of our favourite wedding hairstyles, it can be tricky to describe to your hairstylist exactly what you have in mind for your undone up-style. That’s why, today, we’re providing you with some very handy visual inspiration!
Whether you’re looking for a messy chignon, a wavy braided halo, an elegant up-style for your natural curls, or a cool top knot (let’s call it off-duty model chic!), you’ll find it on this list! We’ve rounded up some of our favourite undone up-dos to inspire your own wedding hair, including ideas for long hair, short hair, and hair that’s somewhere in between. Now all you have to do is choose your favourites and bring them along to your wedding hair trial!
1. A gorgeous swept-back up-do with intertwined foliage and flowers.
2. The perfect undone up-style for natural hair.
3. This super soft undone up-style is a popular look among all kinds of brides.
4. This undone ballerina bun is just so chic!
5. There’s a reason why this gorgeous loose Gibson roll with fresh flowers is a big deal on Pinterest.
6. This gorgeous textured chignon, tied low on the nape of the neck.
7. This pretty undone halo braid with ribbons and fresh flowers is just so sweet.
8. An undone up-style for curly hair, paired perfectly with an ornate vine hair accessory.
9. This beautiful messy French twist (get the step-by-step how-to here).
10. This messy undone up-do is giving us real boho vibes.
11. A messy up-style, with a backcombed crown – Brigitte Bardot eyeliner optional.
12. This loose, elegant swept-up style looks like something straight off the red carpet.
13. A foliage-adorned plaited up-style, we think this one will be a hit with Irish brides.
14. An effortlessly cool wedding day top knot – add big earrings and you’re good to go!
15. This undone up-style for short hair – the ribbon adds a touch of romance to the otherwise everyday ‘do.
16. A beehive is usually a perfectly-coifed ‘do, but this textured bouffant is a modern twist on the retro hairstyle.
17. This boho mermaid braid style is the dream blend of pretty and cool.
18. This ultra romantic undone style is both elegant and effortless.
19. We love a structured chignon, and this one provides the perfect base for a breathtaking floral hair arrangement!
19. This delicate low knot is made all the prettier with the addition of a beaded hair clip.
21. A neat, plaited bun at the nape of the neck looks incredible with a floral hair vine.
Tips for Having an Undone Up-style on your Wedding Day
- While it’s good to have a picture of the kind of style you want for your wedding day, bring a few examples to your hair trial, rather than just one shot. Depending on the length, texture and thickness of your hair, your stylist might not be able to replicate the exact style, so having a few examples will help them capture the ‘essence’ instead.
- Hair that looks effortless can often take lots of effort to achieve, with lots of texture and products! required, so don’t expect these styles to be quick!
- Don’t worry if your hair is looking really neat and coiffed during the process, your stylist is likely to add that ‘undone’ finish at the end.
- There’s a fine line between rocking an undone style and looking like you’ve been dragged through a bush – talk to your stylist about how you can achieve the undone look, while still feeling polished!
- Check with your hairstylist about how to prep your hair for these kinds of styles. They may require you leave your hair unwashed so it has enough texture to stay put.
- Speaking of which, some of these looser undone up-styles may fall out a bit throughout the day. This couple be all part of the effortless look, or it could end up being messy. Pay close attention to your hair after your trial to check the durability of the style, and have plenty of hairpins and hairspray on hand on your big day.
- Opt for an ultra soft-effect hairspray, (none of that crusty stuff!) so your hair doesn’t look over-styled, but still has lots of hold. Moroccan Oil hairspray is a fave of mine!